Saturday, January 29, 2011

Snow Cover Musings!

    It's interesting that sometime in mid-December of 2010 just a short month and a half ago I kept hearing "I guess there won't be snow for Christmas" or "I can't wait for the first snowstorm" and many more. I'm wondering what the thoughts are now.  My thoughts come to when will the last bit of sand covered "ugly" snow as I call it finally melt away?  Will we have the "flood" in the basements that we had last year.  How many roofs will have damage or collapse by winter's end?  Will we get pounded again and again in the month of February?  How many more snow days will we have that prevent consistent learning to take place in our schools?  Will people finally slow down on the narrow streets we live or will they continue to fly around like it's summer?  These are some of the questions that I have.  It would be great to hear your thoughts and personal feelings about the snow.
     I applaud the "crews" that have endured long nights, cleaned an incredible amount of snow. From the town crews, to the maintenance crews of various building in Colchester I'm impressed. Does it get tiresome to work from 1 a.m. in the morning and not to sleep for over 24 hours?  I'm sure it does.  For those that have endured leaks in your roofs that may have caused damage in your house I hope that clears up for you and further damage does not occur.  Be cautious when driving and be weary of others that don't.
    Last night I was at Bacon Academy watching a high school basketball game and could not believe the surreal atmosphere of the mounds of snow.  I'm hoping to take some pictures of them today. Just be careful around the snow banks and make sure your children are aware of the dangers of collapsing snow.
   "Musings" of the snow cover is only a tip of the winter madness.  Icicles, ice dams, and more can wreak havoc on your homes. Also, my thoughts go to falling snow off of roofs that may be icy.  Be careful, be sensible and hope for what you want most for the rest of the winter, safety for you, your family, friends and communities that you live in.
    It's been an incredibly storm filled winter.  There's more to come. Be positive, be aware of your surroundings and dangers and enjoy it.  We may not see a winter like this for year's to come. At least for now I've enjoyed the stories, the countless pictures I've taken and seen, and the incredible work ethic of small town U.S.A.'s Colchester's citizens, families, and friends.
     Additional snow fell on Feb. 1, 2011 and then today the freezing rain and ice arrived. Two days of continued wintry weather have put an added strain on the already snow laden rooftops. It's frustrating to hear of roofs collapsing, ceilings ultimately leaking, as well as water damage to homes.  Please remember to be safe.  You hope that it will end for those that are just tired of the snow and ice.  It will inevitably get warmer but it's my hope that we have a consistently great stretch of weather so we can get out from all of these massive piles of snow safely.  It would be great to see it melt slowly but slowly might not be fast enough.
   I don't mind the snow, I don't mind the freezing rain and ice but when it impacts family and their homes it gets a little nerve wracking. Please be careful out their driving and be safe in general.  Until I write again thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment