Friday, December 30, 2011

Preventive Measures at an early age work well-Education is the Key!

     I can recall my father sitting and talking with me about what was right and what was wrong to say when it came to people in general.  He went through a whole host of words that you shouldn't call people whether racial or ethnic in nature.  Without elaborating on each and every word and the nature of conversations you should or shouldn't have with people the "talk" has stayed in my mind to this day.  It's perhaps that "talk" that reminds me of the wrongs I may have committed over the years if any, and the rights that I continue to strive to bring forth.  Henceforth, "Everyone's Shadow Is The Same Color".  The concept is not color based, religious based, ethnicity based, or culturally based. It's a general statement that simply put means, let's just put aside differences, understand one another, bring forth the best in each of us, and strive for excellence in whatever we need to achieve for the future.
     It's education that is the key.  If and when we decide that the child needs to be totally educated whether by family, by the educational process(our schools), or a combination of both, it's imperative that we begin to teach our children of the importance of emotional and social well-being.  That social well-being and emotional development cannot be achieved without the guidance of those that have the expertise.  I'm appalled when I hear that people still call people "retarded" or that they have their children look away from a child or an adult with a severe disability/disfigurement.  I can recall my dad teaching me about people with amputated limbs and what may have caused that amputation.  To stare was wrong to treat them with respect and dignity was right.  That's a memory that's stuck.
     Teaching and preventive measures are very critical.  At an early age if a child is taught what's right and wrong it may stick with them forever.  I can recall a course I took at Eastern Connecticut State University that gave us the opportunity to experience a variety of physical impairments; vision, hearing, mobility and the like. The appreciation I gained from that experience holds true to this day.  There are countless programs that speak to bullying, to sexual harassment, and much more.  However, it's my thought that when a child becomes "set in their ways" at an older age it's difficult to make changes.  Then instead of early intervention and education we need to have policies to "police" the problem.  The answer lies in early intervention and education.  If we can intervene at an early age with reading, mathematics, speech, and a whole host of other delayed learning situations why not teach social/emotional well-being and much more.  To enhance one's ability to get along, share, and understand one another goes a long way.
     Can preventive measures(education) be the cure all?  Will we have the time to do this in our homes and our schools with the current demands on each?  It's not going to be easy but it's imperative that we begin to look at what we can do to prevent future problems and teach our children what's right and wrong.  As my parents did for me, and I must qualify I'm not perfect, I've learned what's right and wrong and what has worked for them and therefore me.
    Be the best you can be, learn how to work with one another, and teach well.  Have a successful 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment