Sunday, April 3, 2011

Today and soon "back in the day". Technology!

     It's 9:15 p.m. on a Sunday night Stanford is playing Texas A & M in one of the semi-final games of the women's "Final Four".  Technology now allows me to write and post information instantaneously.  The television is on, the "DVR" is recording two shows and people are posting on "facebook" should they let their kids stay up or not.  My thoughts travel back to the days of my youth when black and white television became color television.  Yes, I'm that old.  I can recall having a small black and white television in my room.  That was my technology. The clock radio/alarm was our way of listening to music at night.  Yes we had record players also but it was too late when living at home to be playing "loud music" as my parents would always indicate.
     Where am I going with this?  Very simple.  Life seemed at the time to be complicated based on what occurred years before when I was growing up but thinking about how technology has advance in the last 10 to 15 years I'm amazed.
     I'm going to totally ramble and move to another place.  It's 9:30 p.m. and the University of Connecticut women's team is up next against Notre Dame.  Yes 9:30 p.m. on a Sunday night.  It's difficult enough for an adult to stay up to watch the upcoming game.  The game is not going to start until after 10 p.m.  I'm not going to get into the reasons that the game is on this late. Yes it's in Indianapolis and it's earlier there but come on how can kids watch a game this late.  It brings me back to 1969 when the "Amazing Mets" were in the World Series up against the pitching staff of the powerful Baltimore Orioles. It was an afternoon game. I can remember listening to it at soccer practice and then getting home to see Cleon Jones make a great catch. That's my memory and one of my ramblings.
    Life was simpler then, not as fast paced, not technologically advanced obviously.  Time was spent outdoors playing, running, riding bikes all over the place. Playing on the outdoor courts, coming home with bloodied knees that's what we did as kids. There were no organized youth sports except for Little League baseball and "Saturday" basketball as we called it. The rioting of the 60's had left an impression on my mind, the Vietnam War, and the craziness and hurtful historical events that I can recall but I will not expound upon during this post.  I can't imagine what life would have been like if we had the technological advances that we have today.  I've thought about that from time to time but haven't dwelled on it.
     Recently(three months or so) I bought my first cellphone.  I am amazed what it can do.  I've left it at home two or three times and have yet to go back home to pick it up because I've forgotten it.  My longtime colleague "TC" will send me a message now and again during the day and I'll laugh out loud(LOL) when reading them.  I still would much rather see him face to face but then again that's not possible all the time.  That's your plug "TC".
     Trying to watch the game, type away, chat on facebook, and get this "streaming Wrestlemania" for free online wow. I'm amazed.  It's chaotic to keep up with this stuff.
    I'm going to end this post and put part two up tomorrow.  The "story" will continue.
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment